How to spice up your next birthday message (& how to reply if you are on the receiving end)
Is the birthday of your favourite person in the world quickly approaching and you are still at a loss on what to do? Birthdays are a big deal – they are the one time each year you get to truly make your special someone feel appreciated and loved, the way they make you feel the whole year round.
While getting a great birthday gift is hard, the tougher part is, arguably, finding new, exciting, and sincere ways to write a birthday message that makes them smile. It can be trickier than you think since you have to convey so many emotions in a limited number of words. Afraid not, this guide will help you come up with birthday wishes that will have your loved ones wiping tears from their eyes in no time.
Tips for writing birthday wishes
How to start off a birthday message
- Before you write, consider your “target audience”, aka your recipient. Ask yourself, who are you writing for — a family member, a close friend, someone from work, or your boss, and decide what tone you should use.
- If it is someone not that close, or if you are trying to be professional, start with an oldie-but-goodie “Dear …” as the headline, then proceed with what you want to say.
- If it is a person closer to your heart, you can start your birthday message with their name, like “John” or “Lisa” or even a simple “Helloooo.” Better yet, go with something fun like “To my favourite hooman” or your special nickname for them.
- The key takeaway here is to get straight to the point with your unique way of greetings.
What to say in a birthday message
- Don’t write too much — sometimes, short and sweet is the way to go. The last thing someone wants for their birthday wish is a wall of text.
- People often find it difficult to put into words their love and respect for a family member, a close friend, a teacher, or a work mentor. But instead of overthinking, they should just let the heart do the talking.
- Be witty, funny, or sincere, however you choose, you should think about how close you are to the recipient and choose an appropriate tone.
- If the recipient is very close to you, your birthday wish should add a few personal details, such as memories, inside jokes, or again, being sincere and thankful for having them in your life.
How to end a birthday message
- It’s time to stick the landing. You can always keep it classic with a “Happy Birthday” or “Have the best birthday ever” at the end.
- Many also like to say thank you at the end to show their gratitude that the special someone was born, as well as professing love with “I love you” or “Love you so much.”
- To keep it more business-like, you can add a “Best wishes”, “Warm regards” or “Enjoy your day!” at the bottom of your message.
- If you are meeting them for a birthday party, a “See you soon,” “See you at the party,” or a phrase such as “Let the fun begin” and “Let us have cake” will add a little fun to wrap up your birthday message.
Now, let’s go through some ideas you can try for your birthday message.
#1 Fun & witty happy birthday wish ideas
For BFF or a close colleague, a light-hearted birthday message can lift one’s spirit. Here are some ideas to get you started.
“You still have many years to come before you can go extinct. Happy birthday old dinosaur.”
“Smile! Good, you should do it when you still have your teeth.”
“I thought you might need help with eating the cake, so I will be there. See you at the party.”
“We’ll be friends until we can’t remember each other anymore. Then we’ll be new friends!”
“This year like last year, there will be no gifts. I’m already in your life, aren’t I? Happy birthday, bestie.”
“Here are my favourite things that age well — cheese, wine, and you.”
#2 Professional happy birthday message ideas
Sometimes, your birthday wishes need to fit in a more professional setting. If that’s the case, check out these inspirations.
“Today is all about you. I wish you a happy birthday. Have a blast!”
“Wishing you much joy and happiness. Have an unforgettable birthday.”
“Enjoy your birthday leave! Have a good time with your loved ones!”
“You make work a lot less like work. Thanks for all you do. Enjoy your special day!”
“We appreciate all of your hard work. Lucky to have you on our team. Wishing you a happy and relaxing birthday!”
#3 Inspirational quotes to include in your birthday wishes
Inspirational quotes are great additions to your message — picking the right one can elevate your message to the next level.
“The great thing about getting older is that you don’t lose all the other ages you’ve been.” – Madeleine L’Engle
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” - C.S. Lewis
“We turn not older with years, but newer every day.” - Emily Dickinson
“The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune.” —English Proverb
“Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” – Mark Twain
"Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears." - John Lennon
“Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional!" - Walt Disney
"Getting old is like climbing a mountain; you get a little out of breath, but the view is much better!" - Ingrid Bergman
#4 Heartfelt birthday message ideas
If you want to tuck at their heartstrings, get a little more personal. Here’s how to get started.
“I can’t even imagine a life without you. Happy Birthday.”
“We have been through so much together the past few years. I can’t wait for a few decades more. Happy Birthday!”
“You’re the best friend anyone could ask for! I can’t wait to celebrate your special day tonight.”
“I must be the luckiest person in the world to have you in my life. Today is my turn to give back. Happy birthday.”
“Remember when we used to hang out at the playground? Happy Birthday old pal.”
#5 Romantic birthday wishes for your partner
Planning a birthday surprise gift for your partner and need a romantic message to sweeten the whole experience? Check out these romantic birthday messages to get your creativity flowing.
“The thought of you is what keeps me happy. Wishing you everything that brings you happiness on your special day. I love you. ”
“Let’s grow old together!”
“Life is full of beautiful moments but time with you is my favourite. Happy birthday to my favourite person!”
“You have always shone the brightest in my heart, but even more so on your birthday as I am grateful that you were born.”
“Of all the people in the world, I am the luckiest to have met and fallen in love with you. Happy birthday my beloved.”
“You are what makes life worth living, my dear. I love you. Happy birthday.”
“Happy birthday my dear. Here’s hoping I can be with you just like this for many more birthdays to come.”
#6 Saying ‘Happy Birthday’ in a different language
When English just doesn’t cut it, try a different language.
How to say Happy Birthday in French — Bon anniversaire!
How to say Happy Birthday in Spanish - ¡Feliz cumpleaños!
How to say Happy Birthday in Italian — Buon compleanno!
How to say Happy Birthday in German — Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!
How to say Happy Birthday in Vietnamese — Chúc mừng sinh nhật!
How to say Happy Birthday in Japanese — お誕生日おめでとう！ (pronounced as o-tanjoubi omedetou)
How to say Happy Birthday in Chinese — 生日快乐 (pronounced as Shēngrì kuàilè)
How to say Happy Birthday in Hindi — जन्मदिन की शुभकामनाएं (Janmadin Kee Shubhakaamanaen)
How to say Happy Birthday in Tagalog — Maligayang kaarawan
What if you are on the receiving end? Here’s how you can respond to these birthday blessings.
#1 Simple is the best
“Thank you for your wishes. I am glad we get to celebrate my birthday together.”
“Waking up to your birthday wish made my heart so full. Thank you so much!”
“Thanks for making me feel so loved.”
#2 Returning sincerity with sincerity
“Thank you so much for being such an important part of my life. You brought me so much joy on my special day.”
“Another year with you is the best birthday gift I could ask for.”
“Receiving your birthday wish makes this day truly special. Thank you so much”
Ready to send a birthday surprise to your loved ones?
A birthday only comes around once a year yet many of us always find ourselves frantically thinking of happy birthday wishes at the last minute. If this applies to you, consider adding a reminder to your calendar.
Better yet, you can always opt to buy, schedule, and prepare for everything in advance with our gift delivery service for a hassle-free delivery experience. Build a customisable gift box or pick a curated gift set — from wherever you are, in just a few minutes.